Theme: Social Responsibility – The Benefits of Helping Others
Theme Quote: You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar
Success Coaching @ Mohawk College eLearn Module: Social Responsibility
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
Whether you look at helping others as “paying it forward”, a responsibility to your community, “what comes around goes around” or good karma; social responsibility is an important feature that keeps our world moving in a positive direction.
Generally, we have two choices in this world, to be a part of the problem or be a part of the solution. I knew you would choose being part of the solution! While you are doing that, here 7 reasons, from recent psychological research, as to what you get out of helping others:
1. Helping involves reciprocal giving, and the research is full of the benefits of giving, from greater physical health to personal happiness. (Book: Why Good Things Happen to Good People, by Stephen Post)
2. Helping can cause the release of oxytocin, a hormone that increases feelings of well-being. (Professor: Paul J. Zak, a professor at Claremont Graduate University who popularized “neuroeconomics”)
3. Helping builds trust, and trust is highly correlated with happiness (Book: The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner)
4. Helping increases positive social interaction with others, which can prolong your life. (Book: Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection by John Cacioppo)
5. Helping invokes gratitude, and gratitude is highly correlated with happiness. (Researchers: Robert Emmons and Michael McCullough, co-directors of the Research Project on Gratitude and Thankfulness)
6. Helping can decrease the disparity between “the haves” and the “have nots,” which increases well-being. (Book: The Empathic Civilization by Jeremy Rifkin)
7. Helping involves cooperation, and cooperation has been essential to human flourishing (Book: The Age of Empathy by Franz de Waal)
So now that you know that you can increase your happiness, feel gratitude, foster wellbeing, prolong your life and generally flourish as a person…why wouldn’t you just get started being more socially responsible!!! I am pretty sure that it would help you as a student too 😉
Today… think about how you are contributing to the classroom experience and your school community. Are you solving problems in peaceful ways? Do you value diversity and want to defend human rights? What are you doing to get involved in your family, community and school? What are you willing to do to experience the personal benefits of helping others?
Show up in the life of others and it will come back around and show up in yours!
Remember to sign up for the eLearn modules by clicking on the SELF REGISTRATION link on your eLearn home page. I have more hints, tips and tricks that can help you stretch and grow in the area of Social Responsibility. Come on! Join me in this “become the best version of you” journey!
Heather Drummond, M.Ed. (Counselling Psychology)
Success Coach @ Mohawk College